Tuesday, July 8, 2008

the real story is all around you

lately, for a variety of reasons, i have been overly-frustrated with our kids. i am fully aware of my frustration and i am aware that not all of it has to do with them. however, it is what it is. now, i have never ever ever wished them away (except for maybe an afternoon here and there...to grandma's house or a play date). i love our kids. kids are frustrating. it's the nature of the beast. if you say up, they say down. if you say milk, they say juice. i don't want to have little robots, but i would like to have children who are respectful and are willing and able to follow directions.


sometimes i get caught up in our day-to-day battles over who hit first and whose turn it was to sit in the "front" (the middle, actually, but they call it the front since they're not allowed to actually sit in the real front)...and what everyone will or will not eat for lunch...how many times do i actually need to tell you to brush your teeth?...i don't want to wear those shoes...i could go on for days, but i won't -- because you probably hear it at your house too.


but, there's nothing like hearing someone else's story to put things into perspective. i read Three Weddings on a regular basis. debbie has a story to tell about her own little one, "peanut" who has DS. today, though, she has a link to another blog...Life with My Special Ks . there, you will read several days' postings about a little angel named kennedy. their story helped me to remember about how blessed and fortunate we really are.

thank you both for sharing your stories.

3 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Thanks for the "love"! I know exactly what you mean and I'm just wondering if you've been in MY house lately. We all have to deal with situations that are hard for us. Even if someone's got it worse, what we are going through is still real and is still difficult. Even though Peanut has Down syndrome, I sometimes feel guilty if I complain because she has been really healthy. Does that make sense?

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and posting about Kennedy. I am going to add you to my google reader. I look forward to getting to know your family! :)

Sara B said...

I have no idea how I would handle having kids of my own...probably not very well at this point because an afternoon with someone else's is enough for me. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be sometimes, but you and P are the best parents since Mom and Dad. How many 4 year olds do you know that would offer to help their great-grandma with a pepper mill?!